There are numerous ways you can start making passive income online with blogging (earning money and commissions while you sleep), and owning a personal blog still leads the pack.
Billions of individuals make daily use of the internet to search for information on the latest happenings, what to buy, what to wear, trending gossips, and more.
A blogger’s job is to set up a niche-centered blog/website to engage an audience and make money passively online through targeted blogging monetization strategies.
Owning a blog can be very rewarding financially depending on your preferred niche.
The first and crucial challenge all startups encounter is how to get customers to start patronizing their business, but in the case of blogging, all your potential customers are gathered in a large hall (“the internet”) waiting to be called.
Hey! is blogging as easy and straightforward as you made it sound? Well, it is not.
It would be best to put important things in place before turning your blog into a passive income online generator.
The key stages of blogging are: Passive Income Online With Blogging
1. Laying Your Blog’s Foundation
Like in any building, the strength of the foundation determines how strong the overall building will be.
In blogging for money, you need to carefully get some important elements of your blog straight before moving forward.
These elements include;
- Choosing a blog niche or sub-niche
- Determining your audience (by age, gender, interests, location, etc.)
- Selecting a suitable domain name and domain extension (.com, .org, .xyz, etc.)
- General blog branding (logo, slogan, etc.)
These make up the first stage of setting up your online passive income blog because they all contribute to the success of your blog.
Most people skip them and jump to blog monetization, which usually creates an idle money-oriented blog no one likes.
2. Getting Your Blog Online With Passive Income Through Blogging
This is obviously the whole idea behind blogging. You need people to access your blog from anywhere in the world.
To achieve this, you need to host your website on a hosting company’s servers.
It is important to note that selecting the best blog hosting is important for your blog/website’s long-term survival.
Wait! I don’t get it, why do I need the best hosting for my blog?
Blogging is very competitive, and irrespective of the blogging niche you have decided to write about, hundreds of thousands of other blogs are directly fighting for the same audience.
To have the edge over them, you need a super-hosting to rank you higher.
It is just like a race car competition where your opponents try to race you with their V6-Engine cars, while you are sitting confidently in your V12 sports car. Get the picture?
The advantages of getting the best blog hosting are:
- Faster page loading (reduces bounce rate)
- Greater audience reach (some hosting limits the regions your website can be seen)
- Minimum or zero downtime (when your blog goes offline without warning)
- Flexible customization using advanced tools
- Top-notch internet security for your blog and audiences
- Good for Search Engine Optimization (Higher SEO score)
Do you see how important selecting the best blog Webhosting is? That’s why it is a whole different stage of its own.
3. Designing Your Blog
Nobody loves an ugly and confusing blog. Some blogs are very artistic and beautiful but confusing.
Your blog’s design can be average, but it should never confuse your readers.
Your blog visitors should be able to browse through your blog easily with no extra guide on that.
Download a ‘’Detailed Course on How to Browse Through My Blog.” That will be very funny!
The important characteristics of a successful blog design are:
- Simplicity (simple and straightforward design)
- Easy Accessibility
- Readable Fonts (font style and font size)
- Color (background color, Ad color, font color, etc.)
- Intelligent Content Sectioning (proper use of category sections)
- Quality Images (high-quality, but small-sized images for fast page loading)
- Flexible Ad Spaces (for easy non-invasive advert placement)
Depending on your blog building tool (e.g., WordPress, Blogger, Wix, etc.), you can choose a suitable free or premium blog theme to do the job with ease.
4. Blog and Content Optimization (SEO)
You must have heard a lot about a Digital Marketing branch called Search Engine Optimization (SEO) online or from friends.
This is because of how crucial it is to online businesses’ visibility, including passive income online blogs and websites.
The whole idea behind SEO is to follow some technical steps and checklists to boost further the overall appearance of your website/or post and, in turn, getting more engaging organic traffic.
Before launching your blog, you need to properly optimize your static contents (e.g., images, pages, categories, videos, files, etc.) using targeted search keywords.
You have to optimize each blog post you publish using special SEO tools like Yoast to make it visible to searchers.
Some important elements that can add to your blog’s SEO ranking are:
- Fast blog Webhosting (Bluehost)
- Simple and lightweight blog/website design (fast loading)
- High-quality images with small sizes (fast loading)
- Keyword optimized pages and categories
- Google website verification (also, Bing, Pinterest, etc.)
- Content keyword optimization
- Creation of useful and engaging contents
- Making use of YouTube video links instead of uploading your video directly to your blog (fast loading)
5. Monetization of Your Blog/Website (Making it an Online Passive Income Generator)
Making money from your blog is the most interesting part of blogging because it makes up for all the time and energy you have put into building it.
Blogging is considered an online passive income because you can earn commissions for products and ads without moving an inch from your home.
Some bloggers make more than $100,000/month from their blogs, while some make less or even more.
The profitability of your blog depends on your blogging niche.
Some niches are not that profitable because of small, engaging audiences and fewer monetization programs.
The main ways to Make Money Online blogging includes:
- Google AdSense (and other impression ad networks)
- Affiliate marketing (getting commissions on products)
- Freelance services (offering additional services on your blog like website design, consultation, copywriting, etc.)
- Renting of ad spaces (to companies, brands that are willing to pay a huge amount depending on traffic)
- Guest posting (You can make more than $500 when other people promote their post content on your website)
- Selling of digital products (eBooks, plugins, apps, software, etc.)
- Online course modern monetization way
- Selling your physical product (and delivering it to your customers)
- Operating a membership blog (people subscribe to get premium contents)
- Email marketing and many more
You can make online passive income from your blog on autopilot. You need to put in the work first!
6. Blog Promotion
The last and recurring stage of blogging is promoting blog posts, products, services, or courses through social media platforms.
You can get a lot of targeted traffic from these platforms for free and even make more passive income online through premium social media blog promotions.
The best social media platforms to get targeted and engaging traffics are:
- Pinterest (very important and resourceful)
- Facebook (Running Ads and creating a group/page)
- YouTube (video contents)
- Instagram (blog branding, not great for traffic except running paid ads)
- StumbleUpon (now mix.com)
- Twitter (blog branding and promotions)
Now, let’s go through the detailed steps to set up an online passive income blog.
STAGE 1 – Laying Your Blog’s Foundation Passive Income Online With Blogging
Step 1 – Choosing A Blog Niche or Sub-Niche
This is the first and most important step to start your blog. You need to select a niche to blog about and, in some cases, a sub-niche.
Some niches are so broad, and blogging about all aspects of the niche might get you nowhere.
Selecting a sub-niche within the bigger niche will help you become an authority blog faster and increase your SEO ranking.
Here are important things you need to consider before choosing a niche for your online passive income blog:
- Your familiarity with the niche (make sure you know what the niche is about, so you don’t get bored running it.)
- Make sure the niche will stand the test of time (meaning the niche won’t fade off in a few years.)
- The niche must have a large audience.
- The niche must be profitable (availability of multiple monetization options.)
Here are the top 12 profitable blogging niches to choose from:
- Technology (Phones, Computers, Gadgets, Gaming, etc.)
- Personal Finance
- Health and Fitness
- Personal Development
- Make Money Online
- Internet Marketing
- Beauty and Fashion
- Travel & Lifestyle
- Arts and Entertainment
- Education and Learning
- Amazon Niche Blogs
Step 2 – Determining Your Audience
This will help you to plan your blog properly.
Ones you know the category of audiences you are targeting, you will be able to decide the following:
- The design style or branding of your blog (e.g., If it is a kid’s blog, you must make the blog look playful and colorful, etc.)
- Your writing style (e.g., if you are targeting a corporate audience, you will make use of formal terms, etc.)
- Your domain name (e.g., a men’s blog should have a masculine touch in its name, etc.)
- Blog campaign tactics (if you want to promote your blog posts online using ads, you will easily know who and where to target.)
It would be best to determine your audiences based on gender, age group, location, interests, etc.
Step 3 – Selecting A Domain Name
A domain name is your website’s address like example.com, paulgeek.net, etc.
Getting your domain name right is very important because it sticks for life.
Also, your domain extension (.com, .org, .game, .co, etc.) should be appropriate for your blog or website.
Here are important things to consider before selecting a domain name for your online passive income blog:
- Your domain name must be memorable and easy to type (preferably short with basic terms.)
- Make sure it is not confusing to spell (e.g., fashionnights.com and fashionknights.com sound alike.)
- Use keywords for better SEO ranking (but this is not a huge determinant for ranking.)
- Your domain extension should say a lot about your target area (a United Kingdom-based blog can go with, .co.uk, etc.)
- I strongly advise you to avoid numbers and hyphens within your domain name. It causes confusion and looks very ugly (e.g., ex-ample1.com, exam-ple.co, 45co-lor.com, etc.)
- Check for domain name availability and buy it ASAP, to avoid heartbreak (buy your domain name first, before anything.)
Visit bluehost.com to purchase your domain name now!
Get a Free domain name for 1 year when you host your blog on one of the best website hosting services in the industry.
Buy and store multiple domain names at very low prices ($1/year or more) with one of the most reliable domain name merchants.
Step 4 – Blog Branding
Branding is what will physically set your blog apart from other blogs.
It will give an “I know what I am doing” vibe whenever someone visits your blog.
Your blog branding includes your logo design, blog theme style, slogan & catchphrases, images, and overall graphic design of your blog and social media pages.
Branding is important to every business. If you aren’t ready to launch your blog, you can open your social media accounts and start building your followers.
STAGE 2 – Getting A Web Hosting for Your Blog
As I said earlier, subscribing to the right hosting service will boost your ranking higher due to increased blog loading speed and larger audience reach.
Purchasing a web hosting service is important for your blog because, without it, your visitors won’t access it online. So, if you don’t have a suitable web host, you don’t have a blog.
There are numerous web hosting services online, but selecting the best will give your blog the push it needs to begin ahead of others.
Bluehost ranks highest among all web hosting companies because of its stellar 99.9% uptime score and affordable pricing.
Here are the top reasons why Bluehost will be a suitable web host for your blog:
- You get to register a free domain along with your web host purchase.
- Fast page load time (this will help increase your SEO ranking by reducing your bounce rate.)
- An impressive 99.9% uptime score (this means your website will hardly go offline abruptly.)
- Fast and responsive 24/7 customer support service via phone or webchat.
- Affordable pricing for beginners irrespective of startup budget.
- Bluehost offer free, one-click installation of WordPress software, which you will use to build your online passive income blog from scratch.
- They are WordPress certified partners since 2005, making them highly recommended and credible.
- 24/7 customer service via phone or webchat.
- Money-back guarantee.
Simple Steps on How to Host Your Blog on Bluehost
2. On the Bluehost website, select your desired hosting plan depending on your budget and blogging needs. Tap “Select” to choose your plan.
3. If you want to register a free new domain name, type in your desired domain name in the left box and then click ”next”.
If you wish to register an existing domain name (a domain name you have purchased previously on Bluehost), type it in the right box and click ”Next.”
4. Fill out your billing details on the registration page (you are advised to select auto-renewal to prevent your blog from going offline after the expiration of hosting.)
5. Note that all hosting packages are well packed with all the blogging tools and options you need to get your blog up and run.
(These options include a free domain name, one-click WordPress installation, hosting, and branded email accounts, e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org).
6. Make sure you uncheck the options you don’t need before checking out. Simple!
STAGE 3 – Designing Your Blog
Step 1 – WordPress Installation
There are many website software you can use to set up your blog after hosting on Bluehost. The most popular and highly recommended is WordPress, such as blogger, Wix, etc.
WordPress is responsible for almost 40% of the websites on the internet because of its user-friendly interface and easy customization features (availability of thousands of free and premium plugins and themes.)
How to install WordPress through Bluehost
Note: You must have purchased a web hosting package from Bluehost before proceeding with these steps.
There are 2 ways you can easily install WordPress through Bluehost:
Installing WordPress with Marketplace (Legacy)
- Log in to your Bluehost cPanel account.
- Find the Website section and select Install WordPress.
- Click the Install button.
- Please choose the domain name to install it to. In the field next to the domain, you can enter a subfolder such as ‘blog’ or leave it blank if you want the site’s main page to be the blog.
- If necessary, you can edit the email address, username, and password for the new WordPress installation. Click “advanced options,” and you can change those settings.
- Read through the license and service agreements and check the boxes.
- Select the Install Now button.
Installing WordPress with My Sites (Bluerock)
- Log in to your Bluehost hosting account.
- Open the My Sites tab from the side menu on the left.
- Click on the Create Site button.
- Enter the Site Name and Site Tagline.
- Click Next.
- Select the domain you wish to install from the drop-down list.
- Choose the directory this should be installed to and click Next.
Step 2 – Select Your WordPress Theme
You can make use of either a free or premium WordPress theme when building your blog.
You must make sure that your theme is simple, yet appealing and monetizable to boost your chances of creating a true online passive income generator.
Most newbie bloggers make the common mistake of selecting the wrong theme, which might be difficult to change after.
Below are tips on how to select the right WordPress theme for your blog:
- Decide on the type of theme you want for your blog, either a free or premium theme. Premium themes usually come with more customization, power, and flexibility, unlike free WordPress themes. If you find a suitable free WordPress theme that provides all the tools you need for your blog for free, that’s a Jackpot!
- Go for a responsive theme that is user-friendly irrespective of the device used in accessing the blog. Some themes appear awesome on desktop and whack on mobile devices.
- Go for an awesome but simple design. Make sure it appeals to the category of audience you are blogging for.
- Carry out in-depth research on the theme by checking customer reviews from third-party websites and ratings.
- Preview the theme using the demo option to check if it fits your new blog.
Step 3 – Install Important Plugins
Most WordPress themes will provide you with a list of recommended plugins to get the theme’s original features just like you saw in the demo.
Asides these plugins, you need to install others to make your website more responsive and automated.
Below are important plugins to install:
- Yoast SEO – enables you to optimize your blog pages and contents to rank higher for searches.
- Contact Form 7– An automated form that enables people to get in touch with you via your blog.
- MailChimp – An impressive email marketing tool (You can run campaigns and create landing pages.)
- PopUp Builder – This plugin enables you to create lead magnets swiftly in a non-invasive way.
- Asset CleanUp – This is the best blog speed optimization plugin ever.
- Jetpack – Enhanced security, improved site performance, plenty of content tools, and visitor engagement features are all part of this plugin.
- Akismet – An anti-spam plugin that controls commenting on your blog.
- Google Analytics– Helps you access your website engagement automatically.
- Duplicator – An effective blog backup plugin. It is important to back up your blog in cases of theme switch or implementation of plugins.
- Defender – This plugin gives your website the extra security it needs to stay in the game.
STAGE 4 – Making Your Blog Rank High on Google Search
Getting free organic traffic is the best and most effective way of getting visitors to your blog.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) will make it possible for your blog posts to appear on top of search results based on the keyword you plan to rank high for.
Here are quick SEO tips to get your online passive income blog started:
1. Keyword Research
Keywords are short or longtail phrases that people type into search engines when searching for specific content on the internet.
For example, you want to search for ways you can make money online this year.
You can type in “2020 ways to make money online.”
That is a good example of a long-tail keyword.
Before getting the right keyword to use, you need to carry out keyword research using free or premium tools online.
Also, you need to spy on what your competitors are trying to rank for to lead them.
The recommended tool for SEO research is SEMrush.
Most people using this software rank highest.
2. Installing Content SEO Plugin
The recommended plugin to have on your blog is Yoast SEO because it enables you to implement keywords into your blog posts before publishing professionally.
It also has readability checkers to make sure your posts are readable and of high quality.
3. Internal and External Linking
Implementing internal links (linking to other pages on your blog) and external links (linking to a different website with similar content) will boost your blog’s SEO.
Make sure all the links are secure and unbroken.
Make use of smallseotools.com to access awesome and helpful blogging tools.
4. Boost Your Page Speed
A fast blog ranks higher than a slow blog irrespective of keywords.
To get a very fast website, you need to get a reliable web host from Bluehost, install the “CleanUp Asset” WordPress plugin, reduce image sizes (use reduceimages.com), avoid uploading your videos directly to your blog (upload the video on YouTube and paste the link on your blog, the video will pop up), and do not use heavy editing software when editing your pages or posts.
Other SEO tips include; writing engaging and real contents, having optimized meta descriptions, using readable URLs, and adding ALT descriptions to images.
SEMrush is the best SEO tool you need to get your website or blog on the first page of all organic searches while concentrating on creating awesome content.
STAGE 5 – Turning Your Blog into An Online Passive Income With Blogging
Making money from your blog is the main reason you are setting it up in the first place, but don’t be carried away by that because visitors can easily smell it from a mile away.
It is important to have the mindset that delivering good and engaging content is the key to making more online passive income from your blog.
There numerous ways you can start making money from your blog, let’s look into the most popular:
1. Google AdSense – Smart Passive Income Online With Blogging Using Google AdSense
This is the most popular method people employ to make passive income from their blogs.
Google intelligently places ads on your blog using high-tech targeting software that displays only the ads a visitor might be interested in.
This increases conversion and makes your blog look non-invasive.
To get approved by Google AdSense, you need to have a reasonable number of engaging visitors, and your blog should be at least 3 months old.
2. Affiliate Marketing – (Most Profitable Method) To Earn Passive Income Online With Blogging
This is the most lucrative blog monetization method because of its high reward rate depending on the program you are promoting.
In affiliate marketing, you get commissions on all the products you sell through your unique affiliate link at no extra cost to your blog visitors.
For example, you own a gaming website, and you are promoting a $450 gaming console to your website visitors at a 30% commission rate.
After a successful sale, you will make $135 per product.
There are affiliate programs that create an avenue for promoters to earn recurring commissions for life from a customer’s purchase.
Learn more about how to get started with affiliate marketing here!
3. Guest Posting and Ad Spaces
You can increase your online passive income by allowing people in your niche to advertise products through posts or ad banners.
Also, you can go ahead to charge them for it depending on your total monthly visitors and the duration or expiry of the post or ad.
You can make more than $500 per guest post or thousands of dollars per advert.
4. Freelance Services To Earn Passive Income Online With Blogging
You can create a section on your blog to advertise your freelance or consultation services to your visitors.
These services can range from sales funnel building, mentorship programs, graphics design, blog building, social media management, and more.
Make sure the services you are offering tallies with the category of visitors you are targeting.
5. Launch Online Course To Earn Passive Income Online
If you have a good course, your visitors would want to pay for it, and you can promote it on your blog and make online passive income consistently.
You can create a membership blog where people must subscribe before accessing your premium content.
Other ways to monetize your blog includes hosting webinars, promoting products using sales funnels, and selling your personal digital or physical products.
STAGE 6 – Getting Traffic to Your Blog
Blog promotion is a recurring stage of blogging because you must carry it out every time you publish or update your blog post.
The best way to get organic traffic for free is through search engine results.
If your post appears on the first page on search engines, you will get a lot of traffic to your blog.
You can only achieve this through search engine optimization of your posts. We have talked about this already!
Other effective methods you can adopt to get more traffic to your blog are through social media marketing and email marketing.
Here, you must select the most converting social media platforms to upload content and get visitors to your blog.
The most effective social media platforms are Pinterest, Quora, and Facebook.
Quick Tips to Get Traffic to Your Blog from Social Media
- Open social media accounts using your brand’s name and update your profile with captivating descriptions.
- Post relevant and educative content on your social media pages.
- Make use of niche-based keywords when sharing your social media posts.
- Add your website link to your social media profile and posts.
- Tell your social media followers what to do after reading your post using strong call-to-action.
- Add the social media sharing button on your blog images to enable visitors to share your post with one-click.
- Add “Click To Tweet” plugin to your posts to enable readers to share your post on their twitter page easily.
- Make sure your social media images are beautiful and well branded.
- Make use of social media advertising options to promote your posts for a faster result.
In Summary With Passive Income Online With Blogging
Starting your own online passive income blog can be very rewarding but before you start making lots of cash from your blog, you need to put in the required energy by strategizing the right way.
Paulgeek.net has more to offer you ways to make money online through running a blog, affiliate marketing, digital marketing, and freelancing.
Do well to subscribe to our non-invasive content updates and secrete tips on making passive income online.
We can help you set up your blog from scratch through our affordable blog building service.
Send us a message if you have questions regarding how to startup something lucrative online, we can share ideas!
Disclaimer: This educative post contains affiliate links to verified and recommended products which are also used by paulgeek.net. Paulgeek.net might get commissions on these products at zero cost to you.